- How have you experienced God this week?
- What are you thankful for?
- What do you need God’s help for?
- How can we help you with your needs?
- Pray for each other
- What have you put into practice since our last meeting?
- How are the people that you are caring for going? What would help them most?
- Were you able to share a God experience with anyone? Did you pray with them?
- Pray for these people
- Read the passage aloud twice.
- Have one person retell the passage in their own words with the group’s help.
- Was there anything missed or added?
9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
15 People were also bringing babies to Jesus for him to place his hands on them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 17 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”
- What stands out for you in this passage?
- What do you like and what bothers you in this passage?
- What does this passage tell you about God and people?
- Ask God what He wants you to do in response to the passage. Is there:
- A behaviour to change?
- A promise to claim?
- An example to follow?
- A command to obey?
- Share this with the group