- How have you experienced God this week?
- What are you thankful for?
- What do you need God’s help for?
- How can we help you with your needs?
- Pray for each other
- What have you put into practice since our last meeting?
- How are the people that you are caring for going? What would help them most?
- Were you able to share a God experience with anyone? Did you pray with them?
- Pray for these people
- Read the passage aloud twice.
- Have one person retell the passage in their own words with the group’s help.
- Was there anything missed or added?
1 Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2 “Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don’t wash their hands before they eat!”
3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4 For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ 5 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ 6 they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
“‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’”
10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”
12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?”
13 He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14 Leave them; they are blind guides. If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”
15 Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.”
16 “Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them. 17 “Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them.”
- What stands out for you in this passage?
- What do you like and what bothers you in this passage?
- What does this passage tell you about God and people?
- Ask God what He wants you to do in response to the passage. Is there:
- A behaviour to change?
- A promise to claim?
- An example to follow?
- A command to obey?
- Share this with the group