Tonight we are having a Discovery Bible Study for two families at a restaurant. We've known the wives since they were in primary school and meet for Bible study about every two months.
One husband in not a Christian and his wife seldom goes to church.
There is a play area in the restaurant for the children, but I am taking along some colouring pages just in case. I do want the children involved in at least part of the study.
Thought you might want to see our outline. I thought it was important to print out the Bible passage so we can do everything from one page.
Feel free to copy the questions and use them wherever they are appropriate.
Caring for each other (includes children)
1. Welcome children. Set tone for Family Discovery Time
2. What are you thankful for this week?
3. What has been difficult over the past weeks? How can we help?
Accountability (children have quiet free play)
4. Have you seen God at work in anyone's life since the last time we met?
5. Have you had any good talks with people about God since the last time we met? Tell us the highlights.
6. How have you helped people outside of your family?
Discover (children continue freeplay until after story is read)
After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”
3 When King Herod heard this he was disturbed, and all Jerusalem with him.4 When he had called together all the people’s chief priests and teachers of the law, he asked them where the Messiah was to be born.5 “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they replied, “for this is what the prophet has written:
6 “‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah;
for out of you will come a ruler
who will shepherd my people Israel.’”
7 Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared.8 He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.”
9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was.10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed.11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.12 And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.
7. Invite children back to group. Ask someone to tell the story to the children.
8. Explain to children the craft or activity related the story that they will work on while adults finish discussion. (Adults to help children as needed)
9. What stood out to you in this passage?
10. What did you like or find significant about this passage?
11. What does this passage tell us about God?
12. What does this passage tell us about people?
Application (children working on craft)
13. What are some possible ways people could apply this passage?
14. What is one way you will apply this passage in the next week?
15. What are some possible ways to introduce this passage to others?
16. What needs can we meet in the community?
17. Invite children back into group. Children show craft; tell what they have learnt
18. Pray for families
19. When do you want to meet again?