1. Did you start your prayer chain yet?
2. How did your friends respond to your offer to pray for them?
Caring for each other
3. What are you thankful for this week?
4. What are you struggling with and how can we help?
5. How did you put into practice the scripture/story we studied last time we met?
6. Who did you share last week's lesson with and how did it go?
7. What needs did you meet in your community/network last week?
15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—
8. What stood out to you in this passage?
9. What does this passage tell us about God or Jesus?
10. What does this passage tell us about people?
New International Version (NIV)
42 They said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, ‘I came down from heaven’ ?”
43 “Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. 44 “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day. 45 It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.
11. What stood out to you in this passage?
12. What does this passage tell us about God or Jesus?
13. What does this passage tell us about people?
14. If this passage is true, what behaviour will you change this week?
15. With whom will you share what you learned this week? What will you share?
16. What needs can you meet in your community/network this week?
In a Discovery Bible Study we focus on obeying God's word.
17. Why is this so important? Are there any dangers in this focus?
In a Discovery Bible Study we focus only on a few passages and let the group members come to their own conclusions.
18. What are the strengths and weaknesses of this approach?
Continue contacting people in your prayer chain to see how you can pray for them.
19. Have you started a Discovery Bible Study group yet? If not, what would need to change for you to get one started? Who can you involve in praying for this change?
Ryan* was at a friend's house for a barbeque. He brought along a JESUS DVD and gave it to the host. They talked about a whole bunch of things, including what a Discovery Bible Study is. Later in the evening Josh* asked if they could have a Discovery Bible Study the next week between the two gridiron games they were going to watch.
The next week eight people showed up for the game and study. Most had never read the Bible before. Six came back the for the second study.